This past weekend I had the privilege to travel to New York City to attend a NASM Personal Training Workshop.
As you may already know, I became a Certified Personal Trainer in May 2013. My focus is online training, but I wanted to gain some hands on experience as well and this workshop gave me that opportunity. Not only do I feel better equipped to take on my own clients, but I feel much more educated and comfortable doing so.
Here are a few pictures from my day, as seen through my iPhone (because I still haven’t reached a comfort level with my Cannon EOS Rebel T3):
It’s a good thing that I am a morning person, because this workshop had me up and out of bed by 4:00 A.M. I needed to be out the door by 5:15 A.M. in order to make it to registration in NYC by 7:30 a.m. Oh, and I gave myself enough time to stop for gas and a coffee (duh!)
I really can’t complain, when this was my view for the entire drive down the NJ turnpike.
I just want to take this moment to rant a bit about a rude parking garage attendant that I encountered. So, clearly I am unfamiliar with NYC . In Philly, there is free parking on a Sunday but I didn’t know the “rules” of NYC. Anyway, I pulled into a parking garage and the attendant wanted $40 dollars from me! I asked him if there was anywhere else that I could park for the day that may be cheaper. He said no. Well, I knew he wanted my money so I told him that and backed on out of there. Come to find out that there was FREE parking on the street right in front of this parking garage. FREE. So, I took the free parking out front.
The workshop was located at Crunch Fitness, in the exercise room.
No shame in my mirror “selfie.”
A quick 10 minute break led me to the starbucks down the street for some H20 & fresh blueberries.
At this point, I still hadn’t realized I was in Times Square yet. I’m such a tourist.
As I started to see more and more cartoon characters and thousands of people with cameras stuck to their hands, I then realized where I was.
My $11 salad for lunch that would have been $8 in Philly.
Overall, the workshop was very informative!
I’ll leave you with a few thoughts:
- Just because you passed a certification exam, does not make you a good personal trainer. Experience and understanding of concepts helps make you a good personal trainer.
- At NASM, we train our clients for optimal performance. This means that we treat our client’s muscles as an integrated system and each muscle group must function at their optimal level to get the most out of every workout and see lasting results.
- Never underestimate a foam roller <– Seriously, this object does wonders to the human body. Oh, and you are actually NOT supposed to “roll” with a foam roller. Find that tight spot, and STAY THERE until the pain subsides. Then, move onto the next tight spot (which 9 times out of 10 is only about a 1/2 an inch away).
- Don’t be fooled or turned away by the concept of stabilization exercises. I can give you a killer stabilization workout and you will be sore for days 😉
And now, because I’m feeling educated and generous, I want to offer a FREE 4 Week Workout Plan to a lucky CHF reader!
Yes, you read that right. 4 WEEKS of workouts 🙂
What you will get?
-24/7 access to me!
-Personalized training advice and nutrition recommendations
-We will analyze your weight, body fat, progress, and goals
1. You must “like” CHF on facebook;
2. You must tweet about your interest in the giveaway and tag @chfjenna in your tweet. For example, “I just entered to win @chfjenna ‘s giveaway for a FREE 4-week workout plan! #chf #chftraining”; and you must
3. Leave a comment below telling me why you want to win and that you have completed the above 2 requirements.
4. If you’re feeling extra generous, go ahead and follow me on Instagram @chfjenna as well! (this will not get you extra points in the giveaway).
*The giveaway begins TODAY. I will pick a winner at random on September 22, 2013!
Good Luck to All!